Sunday, May 27, 2018

Getting Racked

Not too long ago I replaced the rack and pinion on the Pulsar with a rebuilt unit from BBB Industries.  After going through the purge process I noticed a small drop of fluid under the left side bellow.  I didn't think much of it and thought that it may have been some residual oil from the installation process.  Amy drove the car around the neighborhood a few times as work completed on the car.  It was at this point that I noticed a puddle of fluid on the garage floor.  Upon inspection, the fluid was coming from the vent connection on the top of the left bellow.  To confirm my suspicion, I cut the plastic tie from the bellow and opened up the end; fluid came pouring out of the bellow...


Apparently the seal on the left side was faulty.  I've read that this sort of thing is not uncommon with rebuilt racks.  I recall that years ago when I was a teenager we had to take my car back to the mechanic a few times as he battled bad rebuilt racks.  This rack was warranted for three years so I guess I'll be testing that warranty.  Given the amount of labor involved in removal and installation, I had hoped not to do this again, but I guess that wasn't in the cards.  At least now I know the fastest way to go through the procedure.  More updates (hopefully) to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment