Sunday, August 26, 2018

This problem is starting to bug me

Well, I *thought* I had my intermittent starting issues resolved with the new ignition relay.  As my father and I were leaving from our breakfast stop on the way to the Wilson County Fair, my 280z wouldn't start!  I heard the ignition relay clicking, so I knew that wasn't the issue.  I wiggled the solenoid actuating wire and the car started again.  

To see if this wire is the culprit, I decided to replace the terminal with a newer, tighter spade.  I began by cutting the old connector from the actuating wire.


I then attached a new female end, both crimping and soldering the terminal to the wire (I will ALWAYS solder things like this to ensure a solid connection).


After coating the new connector as well as the connector on the solenoid with 3M Dielectric Silicone Grease for corrosion protection, I reinstalled the wire.  While I was in the area, I cleaned up the 12v lug from the battery along with the connecting post.  Applying more of the Dielectric grease and a new lock washer and nut, I returned all wires to their proper home.  Time will tell if this will be the solution to my intermittent starting woes.



No comments:

Post a Comment