Saturday, June 15, 2019

Wheely Shiny Wheels

Amy was pretty insistent about wanting the wheels on the Pulsar NX painted silver.  I had already experimented with Plasti Dip and had coated two of the wheels in black.  I did not proceed with coating the other two wheels since I knew that I had to have new tires mounted; an operation which would destroy the Plasti Dip finish around the rims.  In researching possibilities to paint the wheels silver, I read reviews on Plasti Dip Bright Aluminum Metalizer.  Many people were using this to color their wheels with great success.  A quick search on Amazon made me realize that this was a very popular color and the price per can was in the $25 range.  I decided that this was the route I wanted to take and I was able to locate three cans of the Bright Aluminum color at Pep Boys for $8 per can!

The Plasti Dip Metalizer coatings require a base coat of another basic color.  Black Plasti Dip is cheap enough and works perfectly as a Metalizer base coat.  After thoroughly cleaning the wheels, I began by masking the tires then applying three coats of black Plasti Dip to the front and back.





After the black basecoats three coats of the Metalizer were applied.





I must say that the coating exceeded my expectations.  The wheels look as if they were made of cast aluminum.  Amy was quite thrilled to see them on the Pulsar!

No comments:

Post a Comment