Sunday, July 29, 2018

Let's Get It Started!

This summer I began experiencing issues starting my 280z.  Basically, I would turn the key to the start position and nothing would happen.  Waiting a moment and trying again would usually get things going.  I cleaned the trigger wire to the starter solenoid thinking it was loose or corroded, but the issue continued sporadically.  It wasn't until I was browsing for parts on ZCarDepot.com that the solution became apparent...

On the site, a product exists with a short description:  Starter Relay Upgrade.  Relay upgrade for Datsun 280Z 1975-78. This will plug into the wiring harness at the passenger side kick panel area behind the glovebox. This relay can be the cure for intermittent starting problems and loss of power to accessories or ignition power while driving.  (https://zcardepot.com/all-products/electrical/battery/starter-relay-upgrade-replacement-280z)



After some research I found that the ignition relay was prone to failure on the 280z's, but usually due to interior water leaks of which there is no evidence in my vehicle.  I needed a new fuel pump anyway, so I decided to pick up this upgraded relay package and see if it cured my starting issues.  After all, it was only 30 bucks and seemed like a low risk experiment.



With the car on the lift at chest height (so I could easily work on the lower dash area without killing my back), I pulled away the interior bits until I could see the relay block just above the fuses.  Removing the ignition relay (which was was the topmost of the three relays) took a bit of maneuvering but I finally got it with a long socket extension and some patience.  What I saw gave me some confidence that the current ignition relay could be faulty: it had been opened at one point, likely to clean the contacts.  I could tell this by the crimps holding the metal cover to the Bakelite circuit board.


 

Installation of the upgraded relay package was pretty straightforward.  The connector on the upgraded relay plugged into the existing harness easily, and I used an existing relay mounting screw for the ground connection on the new relay.  I couldn't get a good picture of the installation due to the tight confines under the dash; you'll just have to trust me on that one.  I did use the same mounting location and screws for the new relay; no modification was necessary.

I have since driven the car a few times in hot weather and I have not had a single missed start.  I feel confident that this solved my starting problems, and I'm glad curiosity got the better of me when searching for my fuel pump!

No comments:

Post a Comment