Sunday, July 15, 2018

Stop killing my battery

Driving my truck recently I noticed some plastic had fallen out from under the dashboard.  I didn't think too much about it, figuring that it was simply a pedal bumper or the like.  A few days later, my battery was dead.  The battery has a few years on it, so I didn't think this completely unreasonable.  I hooked up my Optimate charger and let it recover the battery.

A week later, more plastic by my feet and a dead battery.  This time, Amy noticed that the brake lights were still lit after charging the battery.  Hmm, now it made sense.  That plastic was the brake light pedal pad whose sole propose was to press the brake light switch when the brake pedal wasn't depressed.  A bit of research uncovered that this was a common problem.  The same research revealed the part number I needed: 46612-H0101


This little button snaps right into place on the brake pedal arm.  If this happens to you and you can't find the mounting location, just have someone press the brake pedal and feel for the brake switch pin.  


Installation was simple: I sprayed a bit of silicone lubricant on the back of the pad and snapped it into place while Amy pressed the pedal.  A word of warning, trust the person pressing the pedal while you install this; if they slip your thumb will be a bit flatter!

No comments:

Post a Comment