Sunday, October 13, 2019

Brake Warnings

Ever since I have owned my 280z, the emergency brake indicator on the speedometer has not done it's job of indicating that the emergency brake is applied.  The test when the key is turned to the "on" position indicated that the bulb was in working order (which I was confident in since I had swapped it with an LED a couple of years ago) so I felt positive that the issue was in the switch itself.

I already had the console out for some work on the radio, so I went ahead and pulled the passenger seat out to get full access to the area.



The switch itself pops out with just a bit of pressure and after disconnecting a spade just below I had the switch on the workbench.  Disassembly of the switch entailed the removal of a single screw holding the contact wire to the plunger.  Be sure to have a hand on it so that the spring doesn't fly out!


Once the switch was apart my problem was obvious...


There was nothing holding the wire to the contact other than a small bit of insulation.  This would be an easy fix!  I opened the crimped connections on the contact, stripped a bit of wire and crimped it into place as well as adding a dab of solder to secure the connection.


I then finished by cleaning up all electrical contacts with a wire brush and adding 3M dielectric silicone paste to the contacts as well as the plastic plunger to keep things working smoothly. The result was a indicator that actually indicated when my parking brake was engaged!

No comments:

Post a Comment