Friday, October 11, 2019

Start me up!

The starter in my 280z was looking worse for wear and it had some corrosion on the terminals.  I decided to clean it up a bit and make sure things were in good working order.

Extraction was pretty easy and involved the removal of the two bolts that hold it to the bell housing as well as removing the positive battery cable and the energizing wire from the solenoid.  From what I can tell this unit is not the original but a re-manufactured unit added in the car's history.


Disassembly was not incredibly complicated, although I did not remove the armature from the motor itself.  I was mainly concerned with the gears and the solenoid.


The solenoid came out with two bolts.  My unit did not look like the pictures in the factory service manual which is why I think my unit has been rebuilt.  The "hook" on the end of the plunger is different in that the FSM shows a ring instead.  The good thing is that after cleanup and testing the solenoid seemed fit for use.

I separated the gear housing from the motor to inspect the clutch and bendix gear.  They were dirty but not damaged so I cleaned them up.  I did learn that greasing the starter gear and bendix are discouraged, so I had to perform some cleanup where I acted before researching.


With the gears cleaned up I returned the gear housing to the motor housing and cleaned up the unit for painting.  Using Rustoleum gloss black caliper paint for the motor body and champagne mist metalizer for the motor cap and solenoid I was able to give the unit a nice factory-fresh look.  Yes, I used my pickup truck tailgate as a hangar for the heavy starter while painting...



I then cleaned-up the bell housing where the motor was mounted before returning the starter to its proper home.  I used new mounting bolts that I obtained from ZCarDepot to finish off the installation.


No comments:

Post a Comment