Sunday, October 13, 2019

Controlled Reception

After replacing the Pioneer tape deck that was in my 280z with a Retrosound unit, I found that I was annoyed when the power antenna would rise when I set the unit to Bluetooth mode.  Why would I need the antenna in this mode?  Even though the unit had separate wires for an amplifier remote switch and power antenna, they both apparently were energized at the same time.  I don't listen to the radio much anymore so every time I powered on the head unit to listen to podcasts I heard one less rise tick off of my aging antenna.  I had told myself some time ago that the next time I pulled the console out I would add a switch inline with the antenna so that I had more control over when it was extended.  Since my head unit had become loose after installation I decided to correct both issues at the same time.


To control the antenna extension I decided to use a toggle switch inline with the power antenna trigger wire.  This was simple to construct and splice into the harness.


The trick would be where to mount the new switch.  I definitely did not want to drill any plastic; while that would be the easy route it would also permanently change whatever was drilled.  I decided to construct a bracket out of a strip of steel.  I used one of the HVAC blower bolts to secure the switch under the dash and mostly out of sight.


The result?  I can now extend my power antenna only when I need it.

No comments:

Post a Comment