Monday, December 26, 2016

A clean direction

The steering wheel on the 280Z was showing signs of its age.  Since I needed to address a few other issues in that general area, I decided to pull the wheel and give it a fresh coat of paint.

Pulling the wheel was pretty straightforward using a three prong puller.  In fact, the wheel was pretty loose beforehand and rocked a bit if moved from side to side.  I'll admit that I had to google the removal of the horn pad, which I found was to push in then rotate counter clockwise to release.

Steering wheel before prep.  You can see the wear, particularly on the left spoke.
Once removed, I sanded the spokes to roughen the surface.  I did not sand to bare metal, although some places on the wheel had already been worn that far.  I then masked the wheel in preparation for priming.


I used three coats of Rustoleum Bare Metal Primer on each side before spraying four color coats of Rustoleum semi-gloss black.


I then let the wheel cure for a couple of weeks in the basement due to the cold temperatures.   The wheel was then returned to its place in the vehicle after other work in the area had been completed.

No comments:

Post a Comment