Monday, December 26, 2016

Signaling my intentions

I've had a few issues with my turn signals lately, including not functioning at all and difficulty engaging from the lever on the column.  I solved the "not functioning at all" scenario by cleaning the contacts on the hazard flasher switch.

After some research into common issues with turn signals on the s30 Z's, I found that the switch on the column frequently corrodes due to the open design.  Since I had the steering wheel off, I decided to clean up the mechanism.



The switch was very dirty, as you can see in the above photo.  The turn signal mechanism and contacts were open to the elements and had accumulated 40 years of contamination.


I split the stalks and began cleaning up the turn signal switch mechanism, starting with the turn signal contacts.


I used silicone lubricant spray to clean up the switch, contacts, and mechanisms mainly due to the spray's minimal reaction to plastic.  I used a VOM to ensure that the contacts were conducting properly, then proceeded to clean the rest of the gunk off the mechanicals with a toothbrush.  Everything came out squeaky clean and working properly.

No comments:

Post a Comment