Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Cowling in fear of RUST

One of the common rust spots on an S30 is in the cowl area.  I had previously noticed some brown stains on the cowl finisher vents and decided to have a peak on what was underneath...


Lots of rust!  It's obvious why this area is so rust prone; just look at the piles of dirt and junk that can accumulate in the area.  This cowl finisher simply has open vents and no screening to keep out foreign matter.


Luckily I found that the rust in the cowl was only surface rust and that the metal was still sound.  Whew!  The back side of the finisher also had lots of surface rust as well.


After removing the wiper assembly, I cleaned the cowl area as best I could using a shop vac, compressed air, and denatured alcohol.  I then hosed the area down with Loctite Rust Reformer.  I also applied a similar treatment to the back of the cowl finisher.  I then primed and painted the cowl and finisher.



The finisher will be returned to the car once I reinstall the wiper motor and assembly to the cowl.

No comments:

Post a Comment