Tuesday, March 28, 2017

I don't adoor rust

I noticed that I had some rust bubbles on the passenger door.  I had seen these when I purchased the car, but the metal was pretty strong and didn't push through in these areas.



These rust bubbles were on the front and rear of the door.  Since the inside of the doors are another common rust area of the S30's, I opened the door to have a look.  In addition to finding unattached parts in the door (maybe contributing to some of my rattles), I found what I had feared...


The lower portion of the door had a serious bit of rust on the inside.  In fact, after popping some of the bubbles on the outside of the door I had some small pinholes through the door where the rust was heavy.

Since the panels were still very strong (even with pressure I couldn't push through these areas), I decided to treat the panels from the inside with a product called Rust-Bullet.  This is a competitor to POR-15 and is said to bond with the rust via polymers intertwining with the rust.  I had read good reviews of the product.  Since the product needed very little prep, I used a screwdriver, vacuum, and compressed air to break-up and remove the dirt that had caused the rust to form.  I then used denatured alcohol to prep the area for the application of the Rust Bullet.  

I applied some painter's tape over the rusted-through holes in hopes that the Rust-Bullet would fill these areas enough to where I wouldn't have to patch.  I applied 4 coats of the product following the directions.  I used disposable brushes since the product is so difficult to clean and remove (this was recommended by the manufacturer).  One thing I noted is that the brushes I used to apply the product were ROCK HARD after the product had cured; this felt promising.

Now that the product has cured only time will tell if the treatment was effective.  I can say that the product went on smooth and thicker than I anticipated.  It had the consistency of motor oil and "stuck" to the rust very well.  The door looks good anyway with no real evidence that the rust was even there...


Before


After

No comments:

Post a Comment