Sunday, January 15, 2017

Maintenance Day

While MLK day is tomorrow, I don't get to celebrate with my wife and son who have the day off.  I instead celebrated maintenance day which is a little known holiday and regional... very regional.

To celebrate maintenance day I hoisted the daily drivers and performed oil changes.




One thing that always perplexed me is the frailty of the rock guards under the engines on newer model cars.  They are on and off with every oil change, but over tighten one of the bolts just a bit and they fall apart.

On the G37 (which desperately needs a wash as you can see), the rock guard had several mounting holes which had split.  I decided that I would fix these on maintenance day.


My plastic welding kit continues to earn it's keep.  Using stainless mesh and a fiberflex rod, I reinforced the holes and patched the cracks.


I used a step drill bit to quickly open the hole and ready the part for re-installation.


Happy maintenance day!

No comments:

Post a Comment