Sunday, April 15, 2018

Fade into Black

The wheels that are on the Pulsar (not factory) are a nice bronze color, but they don't match the rest of the car.  Amy asked if the color could be changed, and my first thought is that they might look good in black.  Since paint is such a commitment and we're not really certain that black is the way to go, why not experiment with Plasti Dip?

After removing the wheels and cleaning them thoroughly, I stuck a series of old business cards between the tire and the rim; this would eliminate any work of peeling the coating off the tires.



I then applied 5 or 6 very light coats of black Plasti Dip, allowing about 30 minutes between coats.


The wheels turned out great!  I've only treated one pair of wheels since I know I have to get new tires and the coating will likely need touching up after the tire mounting process.  This did give us an idea of how the car will look with the new color on the wheels.


I don't yet know how well the Plasti Dip coating will hold up to the rigors of the road, but I've read that the original (as compared to Rustoleum or other brands) holds up much better.  Time will tell!

No comments:

Post a Comment