Sunday, May 13, 2018

Dashpot Cleanup

One thing I continue to chase on my 280z is the difference between cold and warm idle; when cold the idle was about 300-400 RPM lower than warm.  As part of this investigation, I had disassembled the front throttle linkage and removed the dashpot.  For those that are unfamiliar, the dashpot is a mechanism added to manual transmission models and "softened" the throttle's return to full idle.  Once the throttle was released, it would hit the dashpot pin (a repurposed vacuum actuator) and slowly allow the throttle to return to resting idle position.  

To ensure this part was working as expected, I sprayed silicone lubricant into the open end and pumped the actuator several times, letting the silicone work it's way around the inside.  After several cycles of fill and drain, I left the actuator upside down overnight to drain.

As a last bit of beautification, I painted the actuator using a Rustoleum enamel that is close to the color of the yellow-zinc plating that adorned many of the metal parts in the engine bay.

Before Cleanup
 
After treatment

No comments:

Post a Comment