Friday, March 29, 2019

A New Position

The connector on the throttle position sensor had become brittle and lost its retaining clip some years ago.  I finally got around to replacing it.


While I had the connector off, I tested the TPS to ensure that the contacts were still good and that it was adjusted properly.  Everything checked out.  The tool in the picture is a BlueDriver multimeter; if you work on older cars and need a multimeter you can't go wrong with this unit.  It has automotive-specific functions such as a tachometer and dwell and is priced very reasonably.


Standard Motor Products makes replacement connectors for most of the under-the-hood connectors in the older Datsuns.  I used the three-connector pigtail to replace my crumbling original connector.  After noting the positions of the wires on the original connector and matching them to the wires on the replacements, I cut and soldered the wires into place.

 

Heat shrink tubing was used to protect the individual splices as well as create a sheath around the entire bundle.



A quick test drive after replacement showed that things were working normally.  Another minor repair complete!

No comments:

Post a Comment