Sunday, August 11, 2019

Building a Car Vaping Machine

I've been chasing an issue with my 280z where the car idles very low when cold but runs perfectly when warm.  To start ruling out potential causes, I decided to look for vacuum leaks.  Now certainly one could check for vacuum leaks using some DIY methods like spraying carburetor cleaner all over an idling engine until a difference in RPM is heard.  Those carb cleaner and propane methods of detecting leaks seemed imprecise to me.  Recently I had watched some videos on YouTube on how to make a smoke machine for the purpose of detecting vacuum leaks in engines.  This video is the one that I followed most closely to construct my smoke machine: Best Automotive Smoke Machine You Can Build.  The video details the steps to build the unit, which requires a pickle jar, soldering iron, bicycle pump, epoxy, a Bic pen, vinyl tubing, a sock and baby oil.  It feels rather McGyver-ish, but the end result is VERY effective.



In addition to building the smoke machine, I also picked up a device that can inject smoke into the manifold while also sealing the end: AUTOOL Easy Intake Adapter.

This device made it extremely easy to test the intake manifold for leaks.  


I will detail the detection of each leak and it's correction in subsequent posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment