Saturday, August 19, 2017

Changing the channel

After 41 years, the body channel molding on the 280z had not only begun to discolor but also shrink, leaving large gaps at each end of the channel.


I ordered a 21 feet of 5/8" channel molding from Custom Auto Trim in black, along with a bullet style end since one of mine was missing.  Removing the existing molding was quite easy, just pry up an end with a screwdriver and pull.  After pulling the vinyl out of the channel, I cleaned out the channel to prevent issues seating the new strip.  In the case of the channel where the end was missing, I had to drill out the rivet as the end had actually broken off.


After drilling out the rivet I found that this mount had already been repaired in the past using a larger rivet.  After enlarging the hole in the bullet end piece, I found that the  holes didn't perfectly align.  I enlarged the hole in the bullet as much as possible, but there would still be  small gap; I'd just have to live with it.  I also found that the rivet gun would not clear the channel.  It was time to get creative, so I stacked a set of small washers into the rivet to clear the channel.


I mounted the gun onto the rivet and popped it into place with an explosion of tiny washers.  Unfortunately I also nicked the paint in the recoil.  Out comes the touch-up paint.  

Placing the new vinyl strips was pretty easy.  I cut reach piece about 1/4 to 1/2 of an inch longer than the length of its new home.  This was to allow for some shrinkage over time.  Installing the strips wasn't too difficult, but it did move slowly.  The installation process consisted of placing 6 inches or so of the lower part of the channel into place then tucking the upper part into place with a small screwdriver.

 


The moldings now look like new and the small gap on the side where the end was previously missing is livable.  It still looks better than the end being missing altogether.

No comments:

Post a Comment