Friday, August 11, 2017

Drive Shafted

I've been searching for the rear end "clunk" that so many experience in an aging 280z.  I've replaced the mustache bar bushings and the transmission isolator mount already.  When the transmission was out of the of the car, I noticed that the rear universal joint in the prop shaft had some play.  Since the universal joints in the shaft are staked and not easily replaceable, I decided to save some time and replace the entire unit.  As a bonus, the replacement shaft has replaceable universal joints as well.


With the drive line back together, again a test drive was in order.  Unfortunately, the clunk was still present if the driving is spirited.  I still have the transmission mount that could make a difference, but a little play in the differential gears is likely the cause of the clunk.

No comments:

Post a Comment