Saturday, June 17, 2017

Starting to make a diff-erence

Today I dropped the differential out of the 280z.  I did this for a few reasons:

  • The fill plug is seized and I can't really get a good shot at removing it with it in the car (it is blocked by a crossmember).
  • I have a polyurethane bushing kit just waiting to be installed.  Several bushings can be easily replaced with the diff out of the car.
  • I have a new diff mount to install.
Some things I have found while removing the differential:
  • A small "clunk" noise that was believed to be caused by a bad differential mount might actually be bad universal joints in the prop shaft.  Unfortunately, the u-joints in the prop shaft are staked and not replaceable.  This means a new shaft, but the new one will have replaceable joints.
  • One of the seals on the diff looks to need replacement.
  • Some of the bushings look to be in good shape, but some aren't.
  • The differential belt will need to be replaced.
Future posts will detail the work identified above.



No comments:

Post a Comment