Monday, July 3, 2017

Blowing Chunks

I previously mentioned that my HVAC blower motor made a whining noise on my last trip.  I decided to remove the unit today and see if I could lubricate the bushings.

To remove the blower motor I had to remove the lower dash trim, glove box door and glove box.  I then was able to unplug the blower motor and remove the unit.  I'll have to admit it was tricky wrestling the blower/squirrel cage assembly out of the housing, but persistence paid off.


The squirrel cage looked to be in great shape, albeit really dirty.  After removing the cage, I began looking for a way to disassemble the motor.  It turns out that this is surprisingly easy.  Start by removing a C-clip on the motor shaft along with a stack of washers.  Be sure to remember the order of all of the parts remove as there are a lot of small washer stacks.


Next, remove the back motor cover by removing the two screws then prying the back cover open; this will reveal the brushes.  There was a lot of dirt accumulated in my motor.


The brush unit is removed by rotating it clockwise about 20-30 degrees, then pulling it out.  I had to lift the brushes over the end of the commutator, taking care not to let them pop out.


At this point the commutator pulled out, although I had to use a bit of force to overcome the pull of the magnets.  At this point I could see lots of dirt inside the motor.


Donning a can of electric motor cleaner, I gave all the motor parts a thorough cleaning.


Once the motor parts were clean, I moved on to the fan itself.  It was pretty nasty.


Who knew the fan blades were actually clear?  I cleaned up the motor housing as well.  Afterwards, I realized that I might be in trouble with the wife for the mess I made in the bathroom sink.


Once things were dry, I began reassembly.  There were no surprises upon reassembly. I did polish the commutator shaft with a Dremel and used white lithium grease in the bushings.  When I removed the motor from the car, I noted that one of the screws was missing; I replaced that screw and used a nylon spacer to replace the missing OE spacer.  I also used some weatherstripping on a missing section of the blower housing.  


Finally, I hit the motor end with some black Krylon paint as I scratched it up a bit when removing.  A quick test showed that the fan worked after re-installation; whether or not the unit begins to whine at high RPM remains to be seen.

No comments:

Post a Comment