Sunday, July 30, 2017

Waxing my mustache (bar)

I returned the mustache bar to the 280z.  To begin the return of the mustache, I started by removing the old bushings.  While I didn't snap any pics of their removal, the process entailed using a blowtorch to set the old rubber bushings on fire and letting them burn until all the rubber "dripped" out of the shell.  This stage was actually kind of fun.

The next step was to use a wire wheel to prep the metal for painting.  This included cleaning out any leftover burnt rubber inside the outer bushing shell.


After hitting the bar with two coats of primer and two coats of Rustoleum semi-gloss black, it was time to install the new bushings.  The bushings are from the Energy Suspension kit I received last Christmas.


After greasing the inside and outside of the bushings with the included super-sticky-won't-come-off-your-fingers grease, I pressed the bushings into the shells.


The bar was then ready to be returned to the car.  I was worried that the bolts inside the car would rotate while applying the 60 ft-lbs of torque required, but luckily they were frozen into place; I really didn't want to pull the interior apart to steady the mounting bolts from above.

No comments:

Post a Comment