Tuesday, September 5, 2017

My Tranny is Bushed

I've been making the rounds of replacing 40 year old rubber on the 280z; today it was the transmission mounts and bushings on the transmission crossmember.


After positioning a transmission jack under the rear of the transmission, I removed the crossmember and the transmission mount.


To replace the bushings in the crossmember, they first needed to be removed.  The fastest way to remove the old bushings was to use a propane torch and burn them out.  It also gave me a chance to use a torch and play with fire!


Once the bushings had "dripped" out of the shell and subsequently cooled, it was time to remove the old paint.


A couple of coats of fresh paint and it was time to move on to the transmission mount.


The transmission mount had obviously never been replaced.  The rubber was cracked and very compressed.  It was obvious that it needed to be replaced when viewed side-by-side with a new mount.


With the new transmission mount in place, it was time to install the new Energy Suspension poly bushings into the transmission crossmember.  After greasing the shell and the bushings, I used a C-Clamp to press them into position along with the inner shell.


With the bushings in place, it was time to bring it all back together.  Since the bushings were new, I had to use a bit of grease on the outer surface along with a large screwdriver to "shoehorn" the crossmember back into place.  Another job done!  My next drive will tell me if this has cured the clunk...



No comments:

Post a Comment