Saturday, September 30, 2017

Rubber 280z Buggy Bumpers

In the evolution of the s30, the bumpers were updated on the 1974.5 260z to meet the new 5mph crash standards.  This included much sturdier bumpers mounted on shocks to absorb the energy of these low speed impacts.  In order to allow the bumpers to move on their shocks, Datsun added rubber filler panels and ends to the front and rear bumpers.  This first bumper design lasted 1.5 years, afterwards changing in the 1977 and 1978 model years.  

After 40 years, rubber tends to lose it's elasticity and become brittle.  Such was the case with the bumper ends on my 280z.  for the front, one of the bumper ends was in decent shape, albeit brittle, and just missing a "chunk" from the front.  The other side was missing the rear mount portion and beyond repair.


Front bumper ends are still available as new old stock at a price (unlike rears), so I decided to bite the bullet and order one while I repair the other.  

To begin the repair, I used Bondo self-adhesive aluminum patch backing to create a substrate for repair.

 

Using a product called U-Pol 706 (a product used for flexible bumper repair), I slathered a layer over the repair area.


I then sanded the repair area flush with the surrounding area and feathered the edges.  I used a Dremel to create the contour line in the repair area.


As you can see, I have the shape restored, but now how to restore the color?  Simply painting would not be the right choice, nor would it restore the factory look.  I've been wanting an excuse to try out PlastiDip rubber coatings and this was the perfect project.  I shot three coats over the repaired part to give it a consistent color and restore the black rubber look.  Since I had read that PlastiDip can fade in the sun, I used their Glossifier product to add some UV protection.


In order to make the other parts match, I would have to apply the same PlastiDip treatment to all.  I used the same process as above on all the rubber bumper parts to restore them to like-new condition.




The front turned out better than the rear, but at the end of the day the car looks much better without cracked or missing bumper parts.


No comments:

Post a Comment