Saturday, November 12, 2016

Can't find a part? Just print one!

Previously when I was cleaning up the trouble light in the engine compartment, I broke the lens that covers the bulb (heat and time took it's toll on the plastic material and it disintegrated).   After significant searching I was unable to find a source for this part (or even the entire light assembly for that matter).  

Not one to give up, I donned my calipers and began designing a 3D CAD model based on the measurements of the orignal lens.  After a couple of hours, I had a model that looked like it would make a good replacement.


Now that I had the model created, I needed to turn those bits into physical reality.  I don't own a 3D printer, but I do know printing services exist.  I selected a company called Shapeways to materialize my creation.  This company is pretty nifty (yes, nifty) in that they can print in many materials, including metal.  I selected their "Strong and Flexible" material and added a polishing option before finalizing my order.  Two weeks later, I have my creation in hand!


My measurements were mostly spot-on, although the newly created lens was a smidge taller than the original unit; this doesn't bother me.


The current lens does allow light to pass through, but it's slightly porous (will discolor quickly in the engine compartment) and much whiter than the original lens.  I plan on covering the lens with a few coats of clear to seal the plastic and give it more of a polished look.  I may revise the model and order another in a frosted clear plastic material.  


Given the success here, I will attempt to 3D scan the front bumper corners and see if I can print those as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment