Saturday, November 12, 2016

My car is addicted to crack

While I have the grille off the 280z for repair, I have been focusing some efforts in that area (posts on those efforts are coming).  While inspecting the turn signal lenses, I found more cracked plastic; this time the plastic trim around the driver's side turn signal.  You can see the crack in the below picture.  Not only was the trim broken, but the plastic has been deformed with a twist that would make repair a bit more difficult.


Once again my airless plastic welder saves the day, or at least the trim.  Using stainless mesh melted into the original plastic, I formed a mechanical bond between the two sides of the break.


Since the plastic was twisted and the break wasn't aligning perfectly on the outside, I had to deal with a significant gap on the "show" side.  


I once again use the Fiberflex rods, this time heating up the rod and letting it flow into the crack and building up material in the surrounding area.


Finally, I sanded the area to smooth out the Fiberflex material, then used the airless welder one more time to blend the repair with the surrounding area.  I'm happy with the result.




No comments:

Post a Comment