Sunday, October 30, 2016

Shift boots

Upon driving my car for the first time on a hot day, I noticed a consistent flow of hot air around the shift lever.  I had removed the center console previously (to repair a loose arm rest and replace the shift bushings) and noted that the shift boots were in poor shape; tonight I replaced those shift boots on the 280z.

As you can see, the lower and upper shift boots were in poor shape.



The shift boots are still available from Nissan, although I had ordered mine from ZCarDepot.

Lower Shift Boot/Seal

Upper Shift Boot/Seal

After removing the rubber that was left behind from the degrading seal, the new boots went on quickly and fit perfectly.  Note the rag was placed around the shift bushings to keep dirt and old rubber from entering the area.


Scraping out the old rubber and goo

Lower shift boot installed


Upper shift boot installed.




No comments:

Post a Comment