Saturday, May 6, 2017

Door Trimmings - Part 6

I mentioned in my previous post that I pulled the rear quarter window.  While that wasn't required to replace the door seal, I did want to replace the seals on this window, especially the seal on the forward edge.  I had a replacement for this seal and discovered while removing the old seal that I'd have to pull the window out to remove it.  


Once the interior plastic trim panel was removed, the screws securing the quarter window were exposed.  Once those were removed, it took a couple of sharp blows to the window to "pop" it loose, since the car was previously repainted with the window in place.


Once the window was out, I began removing the frame to body seal, which has to be glued into place.  Once the old seal was removed and the frame was cleaned with denatured alcohol, I spread a thin later of weatherstrip adhesive on the frame as well as the new seal.


After the adhesive cured, I spread another thin later on the seal and attached the seal to the window.  After using painter's tape to hold the seal in place, I let the adhesive cure.  While curing, I placed the new seal on the leading edge of the window.  This new seal simply "hooks" over the top edge of the window and is held in place with four screws.


Once the adhesive cured, I put the window back into place.  This was not easy with the new seals and took a bit of force to get the window aligned.  To get the seals to fold outward, I placed the window outside the car and pushed inward on the window, forcing the seals out.  I made this a little easier by spraying silicone lubricant on the seals beforehand.

Once i had the screws in place I tightened the window slowly, watching to ensure that the seals moved into place properly.



No comments:

Post a Comment