Saturday, May 6, 2017

Door Trimmings - Part 7

In the final installment of my door seal saga, I installed new glass channel runs.  This wouldn't be a complicated job if I hadn't needed to install the lower run as well.  With the inner door card removed, this shouldn't be too bad.  I ended up running the lower door channel up through the bottom (yes, the lower run is a different piece than the upper).  With the window up, I folded over the run and pushed it into the channel through the bottom of the door.  I then worked the piece upwards while incrementally pushing more into the channel.  



Once the piece had made it to the top, I pushed the remaining run into the track. 



The upper portion was easy to address and simply pressed into the door sash.


The vapor barrier in the door had completely disintegrated, so I prepared to install a new one by running a cord of butyl tape around the perimeter.  



Instead of buying an expensive custom fit barrier or using cheap drop cloth to make a barrier, I decided to look for a better alternative.  I ordered a clear vinyl shower curtain from Amazon and cut it to fit.  This gave me something sturdier that could hold up for some time.  After cutting the vinyl to fit, I pressed it onto the butyl and cut the holes for the window crank and door handle.


At this point the door was ready to be reassembled.  I returned the door card and reinstalled the hardware.

No comments:

Post a Comment