Sunday, October 30, 2016

JB Weld - Is there anything it can't do?

JB Weld is like duct tape, there's just nothing that cannot be fixed with it.  In my case, there was a lot of plastic on the 280z that had become brittle and broken, such as the center dash console, the post on the hatch emblem, and a screw post on the steering column cover.  JB Weld to the rescue!

Steering column cover
In the below picture of the upper steering column cover you can see that the screw post had broken upon removal.  



Add a little JB Weld and presto!   In this case I still had the missing piece, so I used it to ensure that the mounting post was still at the correct height.  I will have to drill out the screw hole to clear out any JB Weld that entered the hole.




Hatch Emblem

In a previous post I outlined the method I used to restore the hatch emblems.  On one of the emblems, a mounting post was broken.  Since I was able to recover the broken piece, I decided to reattach the post using, you guessed it, JB Weld!

I started by grinding a cross into the mounting base.  This would give the epoxy something to bite.


I then placed a blob of JB Weld over the base and positioned the post appropriately.  We'll see how well it holds once I reattach it to the car...


Center Dash Console

When removing my center dash in order to remove the clock, I found two cracks as you can see in the below picture.


I used JB Weld to reattach these broken areas as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment