Sunday, October 30, 2016

Making mounting tabs

While recently pulling the glove box to access the clock, I noticed that the lower trim just over the passenger floor pan was missing a mounting tab on the left side.  I tend to be somewhat anal retentive and decided that this could not do, so I made a new one.

I started by removing the panel and cleaning thoroughly.


You can see where the mounting tab had broken off just under the vent knob cutout.


Some time ago my wife decided she wanted to try her hand at motorcycle riding.  I quickly learned that repairing the plastic fairings on her scooter was far cheaper than replacement, so I invested in an airless plastic welding kit.  That kit often comes in handy in situations like this.

I started by attaching a stainless mesh backing where I want the new tab to be located.  The mesh is attached by simply melting the stainless into the existing substrate.


I then used Uniflex Fiber repair rods to build up a tab on top of the mesh.  I put down one layer first, then another over the existing layer.


Once cooled the resulting tab was quite strong.  Since it was going to be out of site, I wasn't too concerned with a perfect finish, although it would have been easily achievable by texturing the plastic while still cooling.  The black color of the rods was spot-on.


You can see in the below photo how the plastic rods engulf the stainless mesh.  I also added some of the Uniflex rod on the top of the mesh to give a solid mounting to the existing panel.  Once cooled I simply marked and drilled a mounting hole and reattached the panel.


No comments:

Post a Comment