Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Restoring the hatch emblems

The hatch emblems were looking a little worse for wear, so I decided to freshen them up.  

To minimize the chances of breaking any of the remaining pins, I removed the interior panel and pushed the emblem out from the rear.  After scraping off some previous paint over the "280" as well as removing the cracked and chipped white fill in the "Z", I cleaned the emblem with alcohol and scuffed the surrounding black areas with 600 grit sandpaper.  I then masked the lettering and carefully trimmed the excess with an Exacto knife.



At this point I hit the emblems with 3 coats of Krylon satin black.  Once dry, I carefully removed the masking tape.  Finally, I used one light and one thick coat of Rustoleum White Protective Enamel to fill in the "Z".  I am quite happy with the results.

 

Since the 280Z emblem has only one pin on the back, I will attach another before putting it back on the car.  I'll share the details of that in another post.

No comments:

Post a Comment