Saturday, April 29, 2017

A nice Saturday night treat

I started up the 280z for the first time in months today.  While I was pretty confident that it would run properly, there was a hint of doubt since I had many of the electrical connectors off the engine sensors and I had replaced many of the vacuum hoses over the last few months.  I cranked it in the garage and let it run for about 60 seconds before the smell of gasoline was evident. Upon inspection I found that the hose feeding the cold start injector was leaking badly.


I immediately shut-off the engine.  Not having and 5/16 high-pressure fuel hose, I made a run to AutoZone to get some as well as some injector hose clamps.  When I started to remove the hose and pipe assembly, I discovered why it was leaking...  the hose clamp was loose!  I must have loosened it and forgotten to tighten it again.  Duh!  Once I torqued the clamp the leak was gone.  I was lucky the hose didn't blow off while I was running the engine.

Now that things were back together, why not take it for a spin?


I took it "around the block" and got it on the highway as well.  The engine ran really well.  I must have had a vacuum leak previously that I have now sealed.  Unfortunately, the trip was not completely without problem.  My blinkers are on the blink again.  The blinker system in this car first runs through the hazard flashers.  If the switch becomes corroded, the blinkers can stop working.  While I thought this was the issue again, (I've fought this battle previously), I discovered that my issue was actually in the wires near the flasher as when I jiggled them at the end of the trip my blinkers functioned again.  I'll dig through those and figure it out soon.

Amy caught this picture of me when I returned.

No comments:

Post a Comment