Sunday, April 23, 2017

More fun with markers

While testing the parking lights I noticed that the driver's rear side marker was not working.  Some of the bulbs in the car are quite old, so I figured that the bulb had simply burned out.  I was a bit surprised at what I had found when I removed the lamp.


I can only speculate that the seal on the lens allowed water into the reflector where it sat for some amount of time.  I wasn't sure if I would be able to salvage the unit, but I thought I'd at least try.

It took 30 minutes of wire brushing, grinding with a Dremel, and polishing with Quick-Glo before I had something that looked like it would suffice.  Much like the front marker lamps, the lenses were falling apart in the rear and I had spares on hand.  I also had spare gaskets and bulbs, so the only part that returned to the car not replaced was the reflector and bulb base.


Lather, rinse, repeat; I did the same to the passenger side although it was in much better shape and just required a little polishing of the lens to make it shine.  Now both markers are looking their best.

No comments:

Post a Comment