Saturday, April 22, 2017

Wiping away another task

The wiper motor is finally installed after being removed for paining the cowl.  Surprisingly enough, the hardest part was maneuvering the linkage into position while dropping the motor into position.

Before returning the assembly to the car, I pulled the wiper shaft assemblies apart as I noticed they were corroded and difficult to turn.  Using a Dremel tool I polished the shafts and cleaned the linkages.  I then applied some grease to all moving parts.


As a side note I've had that tub of Bel-Ray grease for almost 30 years now.  It's still great stuff!

Stainless steel fasteners were used to secure the motor and pivots to the cowl.


Before calling the wiper assembly installation complete, I had one more problem to solve: the previous grommet at the firewall for the motor wiring was unusable.


The problem with replacement was that the grommet was applied before the large electrical connector was added at the factory.  I really didn't want to remove the connector in order to replace the grommet.  I had an extra hatch plug lying around, and I thought I might be able to stretch the plug around the connector as the plug is pretty pliable and about the same size as the hole in the firewall.  I cut a cross into the thin center of the plug and prepared myself for the fun...


Success!  I was amazed at how much that rubber plug was able to stretch.



No comments:

Post a Comment